Saturday, September 13, 2008

My secret recipe for Korean soups

I'm not much of a cook but if you have kids, you have to cook. A friend of mine once made us Mi Yuk Gook (seaweed soup) and it tasted really good so I asked her for the recipe. She surprised me by telling me that it's just Swanson's Chicken broth, water and mi yuk! That's it! Wow, the next time I cooked, I tried it and added a few things. In the beginning, I cooked 1 teaspoon of minced garlic with sesame oil and soy sauce. Then dumped the 1 can of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water. I soaked the mi yuk in water for a few minutes then added it to the soup and that's it! You can add more or less water depending on how salty you like it. Obviously, it's not as healthy as if you make it from scratch but if you don't have much time, this is a quick and easy way! You can do this with other types of soup as well.

Mi Yuk Gook is traditionally eaten on birthdays and after giving birth. Our family eats it often since our kids love it so much. Our mom likes to make big batches for our kids and we freeze it in little containers for instant meals.

written by E.M.